Vision Dysfunctions || There are many types of vision dysfunctions. Some can cause reading, learning and behavioral problems. Some are visual impairments such as Amblyopia and Strabismus (eye turn) issues.
Experts estimate 80 percent of what we learn is acquired through vision.
When an adult or child sees 20/20, that does not always mean that the eyes are working together properly. There are many types of vision dysfunctions. Some can cause reading, learning and behavioral problems. Some are visual impairments such as Amblyopia and Strabismus (eye turn) issues.
Vision Therapy is the preferred treatment for many of these dysfunctions
Both children and adults can benefit from therapy for the treatment of visual aspects of learning disabilities, general binocular (two eyes) dysfunctions, Strabismus (an eye that turns), Amblyopia (reduced vision in one or both eyes), Myopia (nearsightedness), Hyperopia (farsightedness), eyestrain from computer use, and for general visual enrichment.
Some of the signs and symptoms of having vision problems are listed below:
- Frequent headaches
- Eyes tire quickly when reading or doing homework
- Head moves when reading across the page
- A finger is needed to keep place while reading
- Skips lines, words, or letters when reading
- Closes or covers one eye for near work
- Difficulty copying from the board
- Complains of double vision
- Rubs eyes when reading
- Excessive blinking
- Holds book close to face when reading
- Reduced attention span, can only concentrate for a short amount of time
- Covers one eye by leaning on a hand
- Reverses words or letters (b for d or was for saw)
- Must re-read material several times to understand what has been read
- Avoids activities that include reading or close-up work
- Is a year or more behind in reading skills
- Avoids academics
- Spends a long time doing homework that should only take a few minutes
- Difficulty learning motor skills
- Trouble with balance
- Poor memory and/or visualization skills
Contact Hope Clinic to begin the process of learning how Vision Therapy can help you or your child! Hope Clinic offers two online options: Schedule a Free Screening or Schedule a Full Functional Vision Evaluation, or call us at (425) 462-7800.